September 22, 2010

One Thing

It seems as though as of late I’ve been a part of quite a few “in depth” conversations -   the type where someone just drops their walls and barriers as they talk from the heart.  My prayer list is a little longer these days.  It’s given me plenty to think about as I stand still.  I’ve realized that quite a few of these conversations really boil down to each individual’s inner most yearning.  On the grander scale of things, I think that every person – if honest with themselves – finds that there is a need, an emptiness… a yearning that needs to be met in order to find fulfillment and feel whole – complete – at peace.  Call it ‘purpose’, ‘the secret to life’, ‘happiness’ – it’s that One Thing.  It reminds me of a pivotal scene in the movie City Slickers between the characters played by Jack Palance and Billy Crystal:
Curly: Do you know what the secret of life is?
[holds up one finger]
Curly: This.
Mitch: Your finger?
Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don't mean @#*!.
Mitch: But, what is the "one thing?"
Curly: [smiles] That's what *you* have to find out.
Going back to those conversations as of late… I can identify the One Thing each person seems to be longing for:  letting go, simplicity, balance, self-discipline, boundaries, security, relationship (friendship or romance – basically acceptance and unconditional love), peace, truth, control, comfort, and assurance. 
As I think the concept of One Thing through I realize several truths.
1.  Relying on others to provide that One Thing will lead to continual disappointment and emptiness – people are imperfectly human.  Relying on possessions, wealth or status will lead to continual disappointment and emptiness – they are all fleeting.  Relying on self will lead to emptiness and frustration – you too are imperfectly human – your point of view is limited and perceptions are skewed.
2.  A person’s One Thing may seem conditional or relative – changing with situations, time, and life. 
But it actually isn’t…
3.  Each of these One Thing needs; each of these One Thing secrets or purposes can be met and fulfilled completely with THE ONE who is was and always will be. 
There is a firm foundation on which we can stand anchored against come what may  - One who provides purpose, meaning, balance, boundaries, self-discipline, security, peace, truth, comfort and assurance.

Having that One Thing simply comes from THE ONE.

“And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus”.  Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

  1. You're right: It's not fair to expect people to fill or fulfill me. But God always meets my needs by being my One Thing.

    ReplyDelete