September 9, 2010

motto

I watched a morning show live to see an interview of someone we personally know. Usually most of the television we watch these days is through the DVR allowing us to skip commercials. But for this there was no fast forward. The commercials really made me think how companies push tag lines or phrases with which we as consumers connect to the product. Here are just a few from this morning:

I’m lovin’ it – McDonald’s
Zoom, zoom – Mazda
Life’s Good – LG
Imagination at Work – GE
Ingredients for life – Safeway
Save Money. Love better – Walmart
These phrases are often more than just an ad slogan – they are a motto. Mottos are expressions of the guiding principle of an organization, expressions of the spirit or purpose.
More recognizable mottos:
Always be prepared! – scouts
Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) – Marines
In God We Trust – USA


Standing still and pondering some of these, thoughts come to mind. People should have recognizable mottos. People should consciously and purposefully adopt a personal word or phrase that would be the guiding principal of life, an expression of their spirit or their purpose.


Some people I know have done so. There’s K who is a friend and mentor – hers is “Grace”. B who is a friend and teacher, took 1 Thessalonians 5:11 (“Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing”) as a life verse.


There are some people for whom you could identify a motto simply by the way they live. My daughter’s would be “Sunshine” – she possesses a brightness of spirit, has a natural sunny disposition and doesn’t hesitate to spread the warmth of God’s love.


Although there are those whose actions and lives would beg a motto with a less positive connotation.


What do others think my motto is? This past year I have consciously identified a single life word that holds much personal meaning – “Hope”. This word represents so much to me emotionally and spiritually: longing, anticipation, confidence, expectation, endurance, security…faith.


How can I live my motto in an identifiable manner?
I may be standing still for awhile.


What about you – could you identify your motto? Can others see it? Do you live it?
Need to stand still a bit?


Romans 5:3b-5   "because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

1 comment:

  1. Love those Romans 3 verses! Sometimes, I forget where to put my hope. Then I finish reading the verse and my He lifts my head and heart.

    ReplyDelete