September 6, 2010

of icebergs and people

I saw an image of an iceberg that was created by professional photographer Ralph Clevenger ( http://www.ralphclevenger.com/ ). I was struck by its beauty first and then the awe and wonder of it overcame me. Mr. Clevenger has been quoted as saying: "I created the image as a way of illustrating the concept of what you get is not necessarily what you see.” He was referring to his manipulation of several photos into one to achieve the piece of artwork. However, the statement is also quite applicable to the iceberg itself. It is scientific fact that only one-ninth of an iceberg is above water due to the ratio of density between pure ice and sea water. It’s overwhelming to comprehend what really lies beneath – the shape, the actually size, the complexity, the beauty, the hidden...the danger.

It occurs to me that people share similarities with icebergs. The ‘surface view’ of a person is quite limited. Just like the “tip of the iceberg” - when we interact with someone, it is actually just the tip of the person. As you get closer to someone, you may uncover parts that are below the surface – humor, insight, strength, character. But there are still parts hidden far beneath the surface – hidden hurts, anxiety, depression, an eating disorder, traumatic life event, so much more.


There have been many times that I have had the hidden revealed to me at a latter time only then to fully understand and appreciate someone’s behavior or character. Each time, it is a lesson for me to give people the benefit of the doubt, to have compassion, to develop patience, to remind myself there may be something I don’t see or know that requires understanding. All lessons I hope to help my children with. All lessons I hope others use when they hit more than ‘the tip of the iceberg’ with me.


Icebergs or people – there is One that knows every inch, every unseen aspect in the darkest, deepest, most hidden parts. Nothing is hidden from view. With this complete, intimate knowledge comes an immeasurable love. I feel an admonishment, encouragement and challenge for me to view individuals through His eyes and with His love. It is humbling, encouraging and comforting to think that this ‘iceberg’ – me – I am known intimately and loved beyond measure despite what lies beneath.


Psalm 139:1-3 “O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.”


Psalm 136:26 “Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever.”

No comments:

Post a Comment