January 23, 2011

Rest

Restful insomnia --- sounds like quite an oxymoron especially to those of us who frequently suffer from the sleep disorder. I am somewhat of a chronic insomniac. I never sleep a full night. I have stretches of days when I am unable to fall asleep. Usually I can handle going two nights without the sleep but after night 3 I’m compromised physically, mentally and emotionally. As I cope through Day 3 with minutes of sleep, I sometimes notice raised eyebrows or baffled looks as I, not quite with it, interact with people. “You haven’t slept for a few days have you?’ – friends state the obvious.


The condition is frustrating. Sleep is supposed to be a natural function. For some of us, refreshing slumber and tranquil dreams are unattainable. There are those whose health and well being is quite adversely affected by the disorder. I’ve learned to cope for the most part.

Although I may not sleep, I’ve learned the attitude, habit and value of rest. I use the night to quiet my being. I use a bedside notebook to write down what is on my mind. Some items go on a ‘do’ list. Some items are added to my prayer list. Either way, I am able to release whatever is on my mind. If it is on the ‘do’ list it will wait until it is checked off. If it is on the prayer list, I use some of those quiet night moments to whisper in my Father’s ear and release it into His loving and very capable hands. Mentally, emotionally and spiritually releasing my cares and thoughts prepares me to rest physically.
I am thankful that our God never sleeps.  He is ever vigil.  He knows our needs, our troubles, our anxieties, our fears and our frustrations.  Blessedly, He meets our needs and offers comfort and encouragement as well as strength and rest. Eventually sleep comes… and I am thankful and will be rested.
So….Relax; be at ease; be quiet; have tranquility; lie still.


Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.


Matthew 11:29
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.


Matthew 11:28
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.


Psalm 3:5
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.


Psalm 4:8
In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety.


Psalm 121:4
indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.


Proverbs 6:10
A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest—

No comments:

Post a Comment