January 28, 2011

Tears

I experienced the tears of a friend recently – I hugged her and prayed.

Personally, I have shed plenty of tears - most likely more than some. Tears of frustration, confusion, hurt, doubt, inadequacy, sadness, and those of great loss.


Tears. It’s been shown that once crying stops, the body moves from a state of high arousal to one more associated with relaxation. Breathing and heart rate slows, sweating decreases and the period of the relaxed state tends to last longer than the time spent crying. So actually, crying is a form of stress release. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water (French essayist, Antione Rivarol.)”

Later, I happened to view a rainbow. It was my turn to be hugged – by the Father. This sight is His Promise. It is a promise to each of us. A reminder of a covenant. In a very visible way, it is a promise of HOPE.
American poet John Vance Cheney once wrote, “The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.” Rainbows more often than not make their appearance in darker skies.
“Not in the time of pleasure
Hope doth set her bow;
But in the sky of sorrow,
Overt the vale of woe.”
I stand still with the thought of tears producing a rainbow in the soul. There’s a cloud overhead – circumstance blows strongly that vale of woe. But HOPE sets her bow in the soul with the tears that were shed. I marvel at the timing of my LORD. I had the opportunity to comfort a sister – she found comfort sharing the tears. After heartfelt prayer I found comfort as my Father saw to it that “Hope set her bow”. We all find solace and peace in knowing that our tears do not have to be shed alone brought by a burden we must carry alone. Those that love us lighten the load and offer comfort. God, who personally loves YOU, hears your cry (always) and will give you HOPE. From your lips to His ears; He hears and responds personally.
Standing Still with this knowledge may cause tears…of joy.


Psalm 18:6
In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From His temple He heard my voice; my cry came before Him, into his ears.
Psalm 34:17
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles.
Psalm 55:17
Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and He hears my voice.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have experienced the relaxed state after shedding tears and the God setting the bow of hope in my soul during difficult times. blessings, k

    ReplyDelete