January 17, 2011

Doubt

“When in doubt don’t!” I hear these words echo in my head sometimes as I weigh decisions. Funny – I hear them in the sound of my mother’s voice. I’ve actually said these same words to my kids. For the most part I think it is great advice. It helps one avoid the spur of the moment decision – that impulse buy – or a flippant decision which later you realize you should have just walked away. It encourages one to pause – think – weigh. The intention in these 4 words is pretty good advice when facing doubt.
However, there are times when facing doubt in which the saying may not be the best advice available.
Doubt: to be uncertain about; hesitate to believe; apprehension; confusion; dilemma; quandary; fear.
Doubt may hijack the intent of this saying and lead one into becoming immobilized; unable to decided; frozen in uncertainty.
Two days ago I read a quote by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of Cleveland Ohio. She stated, “When in doubt, just take the next small step.” Hmmm… Perhaps Regina Brett was on to something better.

So as I stand still with the topic of doubt – I see good advice; better advice…
I contemplate what would be the BEST advice. The Father’s words given through King Solomon come to mind covering me with peace:
Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

So....When in doubt – seek Him; listen and just boldly take the next step.

John 20:27b - “Stop doubting and believe.”
Mark 9:24 – “Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”

No comments:

Post a Comment