October 11, 2010

Wonder and Awe

I heard someone comment that year after year she is in awe of the beauty of Fall.



I love taking in the beauty of Fall also. But what I find myself standing still with is the word awe – very similar to the word wonder. I think awe carries with it a type of fearful respect and wonder has elements of curious consideration. But both are words to describe an overwhelming feeling – admiration, astonishment, to be impressed, stunned, surprised, to marvel, to find remarkable, to be fascinated.


As young children, we seem to have wonder and awe with the smallest and simplest of things. Now we get caught in routines and schedules. Often we have developed a complacency and take things for granted. Beyond standing still – I want to redevelop that freshness of perspective with which to view even the most familiar of things. Rediscover the daily wonders as I follow routines and schedules. In pausing the moments, allow wonder and awe to bring daily joy.


“He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his yeas are closed.” – Albert Einstein


In this single moment, I pause; open my eyes. Wonder and awe.
- There is beauty as the colored leaves of autumn wave from the tree tops reflecting different hues in the sunlight.
- Clouds peacefully float in a sea of blue.
- Smiles and laughter of the kids and their friends.
- The natural symmetry and beauty of a spider’s web.
- Shades of blue in the blossom of a hydrangea.
- The perfection of a dahlia flower.
Awe for creation … Awe for the Creator … a song of praise come from the soul.


Psalm 40:5   Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.


Job 5:9   He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment