October 5, 2010

Using both oars

We were talking with a neighbor about kayaking.  Growing up in the midwest, the closest thing to kayaking was an old aluminum rowboat we used on the lake.  It’s been awhile since I’ve thought about that rowboat.  When we were young we’d sit next to each other taking an oar and row out onto the lake.  I’m chuckling as I remember that we often ended up rowing in circles because one of us was older and stronger as we handled the oars.  The older or stronger one had to temper their stroke to match that of our partner to straighten out.  Once we were old enough to row on our own, we often still would find ourselves rowing in circles due to a dominant stroke that may have depended on the stronger arm – right or left.
As I stand still, I think that rowing in that old rowboat is kind of a metaphor for life.  And a question arises for me …

Am I rowing straight ahead or going in circles?

In the daily grind, we interact with people on all different levels.  As I work with people, do I sit along side of them and temper my rowing?  I may need to give that other person encouragement, patience, understanding or maybe guidance and instruction so we can pilot our course.  I may also need to be on the receiving end of that encouragement, patience, understanding or guidance which means admitting my own fears, shortcomings or flaws.  Hard work.

Am I rowing straight ahead or going in circles?

When I try to row out into life on my own am I using both oars?  Can I recognize when I’m so focused one aspect of things, pulling hard on that one oar, I’m actually just going in circles wearing myself out?  Or what about those times when I get overextended and I try to row a little to this side and a little to that side, a little to this side, a little to that side?  Progress isn’t really made very well that way either.

What is really needed as I row my boat is a coxswain.  The coxswain is someone who sits in the stern of the boat facing the bow – he steers and coordinates the rhythm of the rowing.  The coxswain is in command of the boat, provides motivation and encouragement, directs and can see all that lies ahead keeping the boat safe.

A smile crosses my face – I have the perfect coxswain.  All I need to do is to listen to His calls.  Acknowledge Him as the master of the vessel.  If I do I will be on course, avoid unnecessary accidents, never get worn out rowing myself in circles and am guaranteed to reach my destination.
I think I’m ready to keep rowing my boat!

Proverbs 3:5-6   Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding: in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths (rowing) straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment