October 7, 2010

Picking ‘em up and laying ‘em down

As I started the wash this morning, I double checked pockets before throwing things into the washer. I smiled as I pulled out a rock. It’s been awhile since I’ve found rocks like this now that the boys are older. I shook my head as memories of family hikes came to thought. Hiking with the kids when they were young was an experience. I would take a pack that had what we needed – water, snacks, first aid supplies, etc. Funny thing though – my pack was always much more full coming in from a hike than going out. You see, the kids would collect all kinds of things, especially rocks. When pockets were full or the discovery was larger than the pocket, mom would end up with it in her pack. If one of the kids didn’t want a jacket after awhile, mom would end up with it in her pack. If a child didn’t want to hold on to their water, mom would end up with it in her pack. The picture is clear.


Standing still with my memories, I think about such a picture relating to this long hike we are on called life. As we are hiking we find ourselves carrying extra “pack items”. Sometimes they are “rocks” we pick up. Sometimes they are things handed to us that really aren’t ours but we take them on. Often we end up with a heavy load – borne with difficulty. It can be oppressive – a pack full of burdens. Some of those burdens are ours to carry. But a great deal of what we have in our “packs” are burdens we weren’t meant to bear. We hold on to anxiety and worry. We jump into situations and battles of others – perhaps with good intentions – resulting in adding strife. Often we over extend ourselves by trying to carry too much at a given time.

Frustration, weakness and exhaustion begin to set in.

At his point we just need to lay ‘em down.

Our Father has promised to bear our burdens with us, to sustain us, to care for us.

I need to stand still a bit longer as I lay a few things down. I invite you to do the same.





Psalm 68:19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens

Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment