October 14, 2010

Hearing Voices

I hear voices.



Now that I openly admit it, you can admit it as well. We all hear them.


I hear “THEIR” Voice. The echo of voices of those around us who say things to us like: “You’re trying to do what (translation – can’t be done, you’re doomed to failure)?” “You should…” “You shouldn’t…” “Good luck with that.” “That may be true for you, but in the real world…” “That doesn’t quite flatter you (translation – you could stand to lose a few).” “Hmm…” “Really?!”


THEIR Voice may speak out right put downs or the less than positive innuendo. THEIR Voice is things that people have said that have hurt us and stick with us. THEIR Voice can originate with those we know or even be societal views that negatively impact us.


I also hear “THE Voice”. THE Voice expresses my own doubts, self criticisms, fears and anxieties. THE Voice is often referred to as negative self-talk. It whispers things like: “loser,” “I don’t fit in,” “I sounded so stupid,” “time for the fat jeans,” “why bother trying.” THE Voice is often referred to as negative self talk.


Both of these voices need to be silenced as we hear them. They are unhealthy. I need to remind myself that of all the voices I hear, the only one worth listening to is HIS Voice. HIS Voice comes to me through the Word, through others, and through whispers to my heart.


HIS voice tells me “I am fearfully and wonderfully made”(Psalm 139:14).


HIS voice offers strength - “O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God (Psalm 59:17).” “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).”


HIS Voice offers comfort - For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones (Isaiah 49:13).”


HIS Voice gives wisdom – “For the LORD gives wisdom and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding (Proverbs 2:6).


HIS Voice can bring peace – “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid (John 14:27).


Stand still and listen … hear HIS Voice with me.


Psalm 29:4 The voice of the LORD is powerful; the voice of the LORD is majestic.

No comments:

Post a Comment