October 6, 2010

GRACE

Compassion, kindness, forgiveness, benevolence, favor, tenderness, goodness, generosity, mercy, and love.  Put all those things together into one word and you have GRACE. 
I’ve been standing still with that word.  I almost cannot comprehend that a single word can offer so much.  What is even more unfathomable is the fact that GRACE is all those things freely given – no cost – unwarranted – unmerited.

I would like to think that I exhibit traits of grace.  I know that I hold in my heart those traits and try to express them especially to those dear to me – my husband, my children, my family members and friends.  I would hope that perhaps others are able to see at least a portion of grace in me. 
I recognize though, that I am unable of fully giving grace.  At times the goodness and kindness I have to offer are conditional.  It is easier to show mercy and be benevolent toward those who have given the same towards me.  The forgiveness I give may not be complete as I hold on to the hurt and in a little dark corner of my heart resentment hides.  I’m not always in a loving mood, especially on “those” days. 
That freely given, unwarranted, unmerited part that makes grace GRACE?---- uh little short on that.
(SIGH…..LONNNGGG SIGH)

There is one enduring Friend who offers grace to the fullness of all measure – heaven reaching out to cover us in GRACE completely.  I am humbled…, awed…, thankful.

Although I am incapable of fully giving grace to others I’ve decided I can
-continue to share the One who is capable of true GRACE; and
-pray that I can reflect to others His GRACE.

Incidentally, as I pondered GRACE, a friend pointed out to me that if GRACE wasn’t enough – as a result of true GRACE we are given peace.  It is the peace that is not of this world (John 14:27); the peace that surpasses all understanding (Philippians 4:7).  In God’s Word, St. Paul greets his brothers and sisters in Christ 15 times with “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”  God’s GRACE is amazing!



John 1:16   From the fullness of his GRACE we have all received one blessing after another.
Romans 3:24   …and are justified freely by his GRACE through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 2:8   For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNClAJO2tnQ

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes contemplating just one of those elements of grace leaves me in a puddle. But, come to think of it, it's hard to separate them, 'cuz each one seems to hinge on the others. Happy thought!

    ReplyDelete