October 13, 2010

Conquering the Mountain



Took a trip northward recently. Had many views of Mt. St. Helen’s as I traveled. I now view it somewhat differently since this summer. My family and I hiked up to the crater rim of Mt. St. Helen’s. It was a challenging hike five miles up to the crater rim with an elevation gain of 4,500 feet summiting at 8,365 feet. The first part of the hike is two miles through the tree line. The second stage consists of a two mile stretch negotiating through, around and over lava boulders. The final push is a mile long trudge up a slope of ash.

It was a long day. There were some struggles to overcome. There were some beautiful vistas. There were some strong lessons learned. There was laughter. There was fear. There was awe. There was strain. There was rest. There was joy. There was a huge accomplishment!

Throughout our lives there are mountains we face. Mountains we must climb to continue on our journey. Some seem insurmountable. Some we feel we struggle and struggle with as we try to summit only to slide backward and have to climb those same stretches over and over. Some have clouds that have settled in and we have trouble marking the trail. Some take a long time to summit. Some we can conquer in a day. Sometimes we may need help to get to the top. Some we have to climb ourselves.


Sir Edmund Hillary (New Zealand mountaineer who, with Sherpa Tenzing Norgay, was the first known climber to summit Mount Everest) once said -


“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”


This quote is one of my latest ‘AHA’ moments. Standing still with that thought I’ve realized no matter what mountain I’m facing – no matter how menacing, it is myself I need to overcome. My fears, perspective, reaction, anxiety, need for immediate gratification, pride, stubbornness, defensiveness, impatience and more – that slows my progress, holds me back and even deters me from attempting the mountain at times.


There is a realization that the easiest way to overcome myself is to set “me” aside altogether. Conquering is simply a matter of surrendering “me” to One who is greater, all powerful, all knowing and ever-present. Standing in God’s will and in His Word I can overcome my fears, perspective, reaction, anxiety, need for immediate gratification, pride, stubbornness, defensiveness, and impatience.

Any mountain is surmountable. Any mountain can be conquered.




Isaiah 45:2 I will go before you and will level the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment