December 14, 2019

The Present of Presence

This Christmas season I received something special… a reminder of a valuable gift which we each have received.   


A dear friend and I had a conversation about faith and prayer during life’s trials.  We talked of the Father’s love and how nothing – NO THING – can separate us from His love that is in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:38-39).  My friend was in the midst of exhaustion and an overwhelming battle – one that physically had taken its toll and emotionally had been draining.  At one point in our conversation I admitted that there was once a time where I felt abandoned and it was all I could do but repeat verses from the Word that at that point were just printed words in an attempt to hold on.  I had felt so empty that I didn’t even know how or what to pray but held on to the words that promised while “we do not know what we ought to pray for the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans” (Romans 8:26).   She took my hand and said “I have never felt that.  You know, I didn’t come to know until I was in first grade.  I had the opportunity to go to Sunday school and I even got a perfect attendance award – but from then I’ve always known He’s by my side.  Right here by my side.  There have been many times I’ve said ‘I can do this on my own’; I’ve slammed that door shut and I’ve gone for times I’ve ignored. But He’s always been there and deep down I have known.  I’ve even said I don’t need you I’ve got it under control.  But now, now I WANT it … I want it all”. 

Her words are on my mind… and in my heart during this Season.  I admit I’m not sure I can say “I’ve always known He’s right here by my side” with the strength and conviction I heard from my friend’s heart.  What a gift - such a precious present – it is to absolutely know God is present. 
This Christmas Season I am pondering the present of presence.  I’ve been marveling at this word ‘present’ – and the meanings it holds.  
Present. Adj. Being with, occurring, current, at hand, existing with.
Present.  Noun. A gift, a grant, an offering, a benefaction, a bestowal, a provision.
Present. Verb.  To furnish or endow with a gift; to bring, offer, to hand over, submit, to introduce, to show, to direct, to point to something.

I’ve been thinking about the appropriateness of this word for this Season.  Love came down as the present of a promised child bringing Hope alive – through the Savior there is no separation from our Father’s love.   There is assurance that He is present allowing comfort, strength, and peace throughout this life’s journey – even in the most difficult periods. This knowledge leads to the promised fulfillment of eternal presence – joy everlasting - more than we are capable of imagining.

My prayer today is for each of us to grab hold of the present of presence with strength and conviction that brings assurance and joy.

Exodus 33:14 – And He said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
Romans 8:38 – For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height not depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus.
Jeremiah 29:13 – You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.
Matthew 28:20 – And behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
Hebrews 13:5 - for He has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in that time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment