August 26, 2010

Just Stand Still

Lemon bars are one of our family’s favorite desserts. In the process baking this dessert recently, I had one of my biggest kitchen disasters which provided one of my biggest Life “AH-HA” moments. Expecting dinner guests, I was in the kitchen cooking three things at once. I had everything planned out – start the lemon filling; make the crust for the lemon bars; prepare the chicken while that was baking; start the salad; by the time the next item went into the oven the filling would have thickened- the crust cooled – pour and back into the oven. Clockwork! ... uh, no. A tray bumped the bowl with the lemon filling – the thickened, surgary, sweet and sticky lemon filling – which fell to the floor. M-E-S-S!! Now I had dinner to complete; a new dessert dilemma to solve; a floor to scrub (because let me tell you that lemon filling doesn’t just wipe up); and guests on the way. M-E-L-T-D-O-W-N…complete with tears and telling everyone to stay out of the kitchen if they valued their lives. In came my youngest son who stood for a moment watching the whole scene as I flew around the kitchen in the type of frenzy only we crazy moms can relate to. He then said in a firm calm voice, “Mom, would you just stand still so I can hug you?”



And I did. I stood still and received what I needed most.


J’s words have echoed in my mind over and over since that day. “Just stand still so I can hug you.” Those words are actually quite profound. The “AH-HA” light blub started to glow and then shine blindingly as I pondered those words over time. “Still” is defined as remaining in place or at rest; free from sound or noise; free from turbulence or commotion. Is it just me – wife, mother of three, friend, volunteer, 21 century citizen - that is struck by the fact that this might seem at first to be an impossibility? To ‘be still’ is a basic human need that I have long ignored. That need is physical, emotional and spiritual.


I am somewhat thickheaded, stubborn I guess, set in my own ways thinking I have things planned and timed (just like dinner). I know I’ve been told before this to “Be Still”. Our Heavenly Father tells us “Be Still, and know that I am God”(Psalm 46:10). He’s known my basic need for this all along. It took a lemon bar disaster and a wise, observant 12 year old to drive the point home. I’m striving to be still daily and look forward to the warmth of the Father’s arms and peace wrapped around me.


Forget the frenzy, the commotion and the noise – even the sticky spot on the floor. Stand still and be hugged.






P.S. Dinner was ready on time – the menu slightly changed. We enjoyed our guests. And I even chuckled a little to myself when someone commented on a sticky spot on the floor.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the way God reveals truth to us. Sometimes what we know in our heads through our own reading, listening to sermons, etc, doesn't quite make it to our hearts and actions!!

    This business of "being still," slowing down, etc. has been on my mind all week as I've been scurrying around trying to get things done these next 2 weeks. As I've gotten older, I find I can't accomplish things as quickly as I used to, that I need to be single-tasking rather than multi-tasking!! I've been feeling really frustrated.

    Then God speaks . . . the revelation! So Barb, when you visualize Christ ministering to people, was he rushing around, multi-tasking, doing a half-baked job with lots of irons in the fire (mixed metaphor!!)? NOPE!!! NOT!!! So why do I feel that I need to do it all? It's tied up with my self-worth and it's influenced by culture, not my faith.

    This is something I'm pondering and will continue to ponder. Hey Girl - wanna slow down with me sometime soon over a cup of coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I betcha that precious son learned about the power of hugging from his Mom. blessings on your day, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete