July 17, 2014

Refuge


The past several months have brought quite a few life challenges and changes that affected many areas of our life… and even areas of well-being on and off.  Situations, relationships, perspectives have changed and brought growth…at times painful but much for the better – And such challenges, changes and losses are never easy.  It can become overwhelming when challenges happen all at once or one right after another.  Life brings such things to each of us.  Each person has a different way of coping during these times.  Some just keep plowing through.  Some try to control the uncontrollable.  Some give in to the pain and hopelessness.  Some close themselves off.  Some cry out for help. 

I tend to ‘circle the wagons’ with those I love… those who love me.  One of my friends once said she had learned that when I have gone silent (a.k.a. fallen off the face of the earth) it’s time to say a prayer and bring over the hugs. I told her I was just circling the wagons and hunkering down and she said – ‘well make an opening and let the reinforcements come in’.  I still circle the wagons but I have learned a couple of things. I’ve learned how to ask and make room for those reinforcements.  But most importantly I’ve learned to circle my wagons in THE place of Refuge.

Refuge.

Shelter or protection from danger and trouble; safety; a place to find aid, relief or escape; security; safety, a retreat, sanctuary, haven, a stronghold.

When life brings challenges, losses, illness, or trouble each of us want that relief, that security, that safety, that sanctuary or haven.  Each of us needs a stronghold where we can rest from weariness, regain strength, and begin to fight.
Finding THE Refuge – the best refuge – will make a difference in how the challenge is faced and will make a difference in how you come out of it on the other side.

 

Who is God? – He is our Refuge.

What is He to me?
Challenges are a bit easier when you don’t face them alone.  No matter what you are facing He will never leave you to face it alone… He’s there.

Psalm 46:1 – God is our Refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Deuteronomy 31:6 – Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you.

 
I have faced a few of life’s hardest challenges and I can tell you this.  In those times there is a want and need for the strongest, safest, most secure and guaranteed relief of all refuges.  When you’re going through those times you may have others who offer well intended but misguided advice; there are those who try to help for their own purposes; there are those who simply leave - maybe because they just don't know what to say or do.  Some refuges may only provide temporary sanctuary. Some fail to provide safety and collapse. There’s only one REFUGE. God as the REFUGE is secure, unchanging, unconditional, and strong beyond our comprehension.
And as odd as it may seem, with God as our refuge we can live above circumstance and find good; find purpose; and even find joy.

My prayer for you is to consider His words that you may discover and know REFUGE.

 
Proverbs 22:3 – The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.
Psalm 118:9 – It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans.
2 Samuel 22:31 – As for God, His way is perfect:  The LORD’S word is flawless; He shields all who take refuge in Him.
Proverbs 30:5 – every word of God is flawless; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.
Psalm 5:11 – But let all who take refuge in You be glad; let them ever sing for joy.   Spread Your protection over them, that hose who love your name may rejoice in you.
Psalm 34:8 - Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in Him.
Psalm 62:8 – Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
2 Samuel 22:3 – my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.  He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior.
Psalm 9:9 – The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.
Psalm 36:7 - How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment