July 20, 2012

Senseless


My prayers today are filled with senselessness….

Inconsideration, thoughtlessness, illness, a violent act of mass murder in the news.
Today is definitely a day to stand still – step back. 
In my humanness I try - I want to understand how and why these things happen.
Hurt and tragedy in our lives ,or coming close to our lives, rattles life.
Answers are wanted.
Perspective is needed.
Senselessness is just that…. It is without rhyme or reason; purposeless; pointless; illogical; irrational; ludicrous; inane; callous; apathetic; mindless, moronic; numbing; empty…deadened.
It exists because of the imperfection of this flawed, human, sin filled, damaged world.
Senselessness is only compounded if we try to figure out the way and why of these happenings.  To do soon only will discourage your spirit; distract from the joy that does exist; cause division among those involve with the hurt, or destroy – love, relationships, joy, peace, contentedness, and even faith.

So what is my reaction to be in the face of senselessness? 

I will process the hurt – the confusion – the loss. 
I will pour out my emotion – my hurt, my confusion, my anger, my helplessness – to the Lord.  God doesn’t cause the suffering of His children – unfortunately we cause it for each other.  Decisions made have consequences for others.  Violent behavior has a victim.  Words and actions impact relationships and inflict hurt that will forever leave scars.
God created a perfect world in His image of Love.  He doesn’t cause suffering but He is the only answer. 
As I lay my thoughts; my emotions; my heart bare before my Lord, I stand still.
My tears are wiped and I hear His words:
“Peace I leave with you; MY peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid.” – John 14:27
“As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you” – Isaiah 66:13
“Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” – Nehemiah 8:10
I “plan to give you hope and a future” – Jeremiah 29:11
I am your “refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” –Psalm 46:1
You can be “convinced that neither death not life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate” you “from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus” – Romans 8:38-39
“BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD” – Psalm 46:1

No comments:

Post a Comment