August 31, 2010

Finding North

One of my favorite spots for “standing still” is a yard swing that sits under a wisteria arbor on my back patio. I sit listening to robins and scrub jays. There are flower beds that edge the patio and I watch hummingbirds coming and going to and from the feeder. One morning there were comings and goings of a different nature. ‘Warriors’ ducking behind the wisteria, combat crawling behind the arborvitaes. ‘Soldiers’ ran from the side of the house up into the play structure platform. I had found myself the observer of a nerf battle. I listened as the ‘soldiers’ yelled to defend the fort. “Prepare! Prepare! They’re going to be incoming! Cover the north!” “I got it! I got it! Uhh…-Hey, which way is north?” “Cardinal north is that direction – and that’s south, east and west.”



A few minutes later someone yelled to retreat and the battle moved to a neighboring location.


I smiled as I replayed the scene that had been in front of me then found myself audibly chuckling as I remembered “I got it! I got it! Uhh-Hey, which way is north?”


I can relate to that ‘soldier’ somewhat. In life, we find ourselves in the midst of skirmishes quite a bit. It’s easy for me to think I’ve got it covered – I’m in control even after taking a hit or two and still ready for the incoming. I think I’m in the right place doing okay; and my communications with the Commander (in heaven) seem clear. Then I find myself shouting “I got it! I got it! …….Uhh-Hey, which way is north?”


In this battle of life we all need to have that direction of North set. When you know where North is you can discern all other points of direction and find your destination so much more clearly.


Now the important question is – What do you use to set North? Unfortunately there is no convenient life GPS or compass every one is automatically handed as they enter life’s battlefield. Some people go with their own reason or intellect, maybe their gut or a feeling---not a true North due to the constant shifting of the human perspective, limited viewpoint, innate defensive reactions and limited ability. Some set North by others –not a true North because they are as human and fallible as you. Some set North to possessions or attainment of status or dollars—not a true North because it taints your perspective not to mention your spirit, it is all fleeting and can be gone in a second, and people around you don’t actually value or respect You the individual- it’s more about what is in it for them in the end.


True North can only come from one place…. Above. One who knows all; Who is, was and always will be; Who wants us to reach our final destination and experience true joy; Whose very nature and essence of being is Love.


“….UHHH – Hey, which way is north?”…..focus beyond, focus above, then set your compass.


Prov. 3:6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment