August 27, 2010

Fester

When I woke up this morning, I found I had a tender finger tip. Anything I touched with this finger caused some discomfort. Once I found my reading glasses (now a new appendage for me in middle age), I got a good look at the sliver that was the culprit. We had picked wild blackberries earlier in the week to make syrup (27 quarts this year) and a pricker had settled itself in my finger tip. That tiny little thing had begun to fester causing swelling and tenderness. Next problem – I couldn’t remove the darn thing on my own since it was in my right hand and I’m right handed. So, I sat still for a few minutes as my husband lovingly dislodged the offender with a needle and tweezers. Now the healing can begin.



It’s kind of interesting how something so small can grow to cause such irritation; can make routine tasks uncomfortable; can fester and build beneath the surface until it interrupts the conscience. It made me think about having slivers in our emotional or spiritual being. These slivers have names like disappointment, resentment, hurt and anger. They are acts or misdeeds towards our being that leave small prickers in our hearts or souls which may go unnoticed by our consciousness but fester. So I sit still and examine myself a little. There are some prickers I find that I’ve actually held on to. I’ve actually allowed the festering and in some cases nurtured it. Unfortunately removing them requires something more than just a needle and tweezers. I’ve got to consciously let go of the hurtful act and resentment. I have to forgive and choose to rise above the shortcomings – both of my own making and of others. Letting it go…, forgiving…, overlooking and rising above. A needle and a tweezers would be a lot easier.


Just as I realized I couldn’t remove the fingertip sliver on my own – I realize that in my brokenness and humanness I can’t remove these prickers on my own. It is only through the love and forgiveness God has given me that I will be able to give forgiveness and love to others.


Now the healing can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment