February 4, 2011

A "roundtuit"

I can remember the first time I saw one. My initial reaction was that it was somewhat playfully ingenious – insightful. People constantly say that things will get done when they get a ‘Roundtuit’.


If I actually had a Roundtuit I could accomplish all those things sitting in piles around my house - the pile of dishes, the pile of school papers, the pile of house papers needing to be kept filed, the pile of laundry that I never seem to totally complete, the pile of pictures I want to put into memory books. And this is only what comes to mind of what is actually visible. Peek into any other room or the garage and you can find more reasons for my needing a Roundtuit. That circular object would help give me the ability to get those things (and more) done that I’ve been putting off. Just think about it – no last minute struggles, no doubting if it can be completed, no facing what I’ve procrastinated.
Oooh, here’s a thought - I could get Kid 2 and Kid 3 each a Hoptuit. We’d really make things happen and get things done. Then what we really need is a few Sticktuits. All our jobs, projects, and plans would be completed then. Hmmm….


Time to get back to reality! No roundtuits, hoptuits or sticktuits that will magically bring about productiveness. I live with the reality that time is limited; waiting for perfect conditions never allows things to get done; and procrastination ends in slavery to never ending tasks.
So is there an answer or solution? Standing still I come to several conclusions.
First and foremost it is important to prioritize. The ordering of my tasks is necessary. I remind myself how important it is though to set aside the “Be Still” moments with my Father. When I do, all else seems to fall into place and is put into perspective.
Then comes planning. Several quotes come to mind: “He who fails to plan, plans to fail” and “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”. The quotes are contradictory at best. But both are true. Balance and flexibility becomes key to making plans. Possession of each will ensure productivity as I follow through.
Finally, I need to keep my heart into all that I do.


Rountuits, Hoptuits, Sticktuits – are wishful.
Perspective, balance and ‘heart ‘n’ tuit’ – is a productive reality.


Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you
Matthew 22:37-ff Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.
Proverbs 16:9 In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.
Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment