February 20, 2011

Community

Several years ago our family took a road trip to see the redwoods in northern California. We experienced a profound sense of wonder standing in the midst of the Creator’s handiwork. Recently I learned a few facts about redwoods. Apparently they don’t really have individual root systems. Instead their shallow roots are interconnected as they are outgrowths of a parent tree which grow in a circle called a cathedral. They support each other with merged roots standing against and surviving Pacific winds, fire and disease.
Isn’t this a great picture of a community - roots bound together, supporting each other against adversity?
Community – a group; an association; a gathering; a circle; a body sharing support, a sense of purpose, a goal, a commonality, a connection, and a kinship.

Standing still, I close my eyes and in my mind stand in the midst of the redwood community. I am encircled. I ponder about the communities in which I actually stand – work community; school community; neighborhood; church; friends; and family. Each of these are segments of the community of my life. I think about the groups and how all the segments create a whole. What are the associations I have with the members of our existent community? What purposes are served? What is our ultimate goal? Are there connections and commonalities that draw us together to interconnect and face adversity – some of which will be our greatest trials, our greatest doubts, our greatest attacks, our greatest losses?
Life has shown me that the communities truly rooted in and established in love are those that are strongly rooted, entwined, and anchored in God’s Will and Word. Members of such a community possess love, compassion, patience, kindness, caring, sincerity and encouragement as they live and stand together.

Standing still I began to list those in my community who despite time and distance have held me strong. I have been blessed with:
-Parents whose priority it was for me to be raised anchored in faith on a firm foundation.
-a husband who is my greatest friend walking through great joy and great sadness holding me, helping me through, encouraging me to press on toward the goal
-children who’s faith often provides learning moments for me; a joyful witness; hope, sunshine and warmth as well as insight - all giving strength.
-two extremely loving friends for life who met each other half way, leaving husbands with young children behind as they traveled onward to come meet an angel who had very little time on this earth with us -they came to hold, hug and pray with all of us – compassion, comfort and love.
-friends who accept you where you are but love you enough not to leave you there – they grow you; batten down the hatches in stormy seasons of life but support you as they heave and ho to help you press on.
My community elements have God’s love as a base. I picture a cross in the middle of my ‘cathedral’ community.

Stand still in the midst of your “cathedral’ and picture your community. You may find many positive traits. Weigh what it means or could mean for your community to be rooted and established in love. Are you anchored in Him? Do your commonalities have purposes of love, hope, joy, peace and love? Is it time to reestablish a new community or a make an addition? Maybe a little renovation is in order - possibly a few cobweb sweepings.
My prayer for you is that your community will be rooted and established in love – His Love.

1 John 4:9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.
Philippians 2:4 "Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interest of others."
Ephesians 3:16-18 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
Ephesians 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you
Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Job 4:4 Your words have supported those who stumbled; you have strengthened faltering knees.
Isaiah 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you,
Psalm 36:7 How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings

No comments:

Post a Comment