December 28, 2010

holding patterns

I will admit that one of my biggest pet peeves is being put on hold. I can accept that at times it is necessary - a party may have to search for pertinent information or deal with an immediate situation. I have issues with “on hold” when it becomes a state of suspension or inaction with no progress and no change.

As I sat down at my computer to begin writing again, it was with thoughts of life being put on hold with changes and obligations that I have been experiencing. Perhaps at some point, we all feel like life is on hold.
Maybe, it’s more like experiencing a “holding pattern”. A holding pattern is based on a ‘fix’. An aircraft flies towards a fix and once there will enter a predefined pattern for safety until ground issues (runway safety or availability) or weather issues are solved allowing for destination arrival. I find myself staying in a pattern waiting for life’s ground or weather issues to resolve.
However, in this contemplation of being “on hold” or in a “holding pattern”, I see personal progress and action that has occurred – new direction. I haven’t remained in one state or course – hindered or restrained.
So instead of “on hold” or in a “holding pattern” maybe I’ve been “holding the course”. I continue on towards the goal, persevering, being persistent and resistant as I am going. Overcoming detours, distractions, and obstacles, I find forward motion. I see lessons learned and skills acquired. I gained insight. I discovered. I enjoyed moments.


Philippians 3:12 - Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.


Hebrews 10:23 - Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment