March 28, 2014

YIELD and find yield


I ran a few errands the other day.  There is one area that I hadn’t driven in awhile which had undergone road construction to improve traffic flow.  The third time I passed a yield sign a memory flashed to mind…

“yield, Yield, YIELD!!!”
(okay, so I’m one of those moms who when sitting in the passenger’s seat with a teenage driver suddenly says everything in threes and rising volume)
“Yes Mom, I see the sign…”

A slight smile crossed my face with the memory.  Then the “aha moment” hit that made me smile fully and shake my head. “Yes Lord, I see the sign…I saw it three times and said it three times… I see the sign…”  I said aloud.  It was time to Stand Still with this word.

YIELD. To abdicate, accept, acknowledge, acquiesce, capitulate, consent, give way, give oneself over, relax, relent, relinquish, submit. To let go.

Life has been filled with constant changes: new jobs, kids leaving home, health changes, relationship changes, challenges in school, plans in flux, futures uncertain and circumstances beyond control.  All of this brings the reality of two things: (1) I’m not in control; don’t even have control over a part of it; and (2) I have to change.  Ouch!

As I Stand Still with YIELD, I am purposefully acknowledging and accepting that I often do not have the strength or the wisdom to control circumstance try as I might.  I need to change; to let go.  Let go of control (which I never had). Let go of my own stubbornness and will.  Let go and Let God.  YIELD.

As I consciously YIELD I am struck with an analogy.
YEILDING is a safety issue.  By obeying the sign to YIELD there is well being – physically (less stress), emotionally and spiritually.

I was also struck with the realization that if I YIELD I will find yield. For you see, this peculiar word has a dual meaning.

Yield. To produce; a harvest; income; output; profit; a return; revenue.

By YIELDING I gain.  My yield?
His perfect will.  His greater wisdom.  His plans are far better for me than my own could ever be.  I have access to His plans.  Circumstance is actually less complicated when I YIELD to Him.  What I end up with is far better than what I thought I wanted.  I gain things I wouldn’t have otherwise have had – better job, new experiences, more wisdom, cherished moments, better and healthier relationships, new healthier priorities, strength, a better understanding of purpose, knowledge of who I am… a stronger faith.
I have comfort, peace and hope. 

So I will YIELD.  I will look to the Word.  I will seek Him.  I will Let Go, and Let God.  And I will yield.

Is it time for you to YIELD?


2 Chronicles 30:8 – Do not now be stiff-necked as your fathers were, but yield yourselves to the LORD, and come into His sanctuary.
Psalm 85:12 – Yea, the LORD will give what is good…
Proverbs 8:19 – My fruit is better than gold, even fine gold, and my yield than choice silver.
Matthew 13:23 – As for what was sown on good soil, this is he who hears the word and understands it; he indeed bears fruit and yields.
Hebrews 12:11 – For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant; later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Psalm 46:10 – Be still and know that I am God.
Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to five you hope and a future.
Ephesians 3:20ff – Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment