December 15, 2011

Preparing

I just got a “10 days ‘til Christmas” reminder.  I have to admit though that I am not fully prepared.  I have been busy – decorations are hung; the tree is up; I’ve done some gift planning and purchasing and even some wrapping; attended several holiday events.  But I’m not totally prepared. I stood still today with thoughts on what it takes to prepare.
Prepare.  To get ready.
Preparing for Christmas seems to have become an ordeal of sorts.  Decorating, planning, purchasing, attending, baking, cleaning, traveling…
I reflect on the hustle and bustle of those around me and yes, I’ve gotten caught up in it as well.
I wonder with all that we are preparing – am I preparing my heart for CHRISTmas?  Am I preparing for the coming of the babe in the manger – the coming of the Savior – not a holiday season but the REASON for the season?
For you see, prepare also means “to put in proper condition”.
How am I putting my heart in proper condition?
I think it is a matter of being still and drawing near.  In James, God promises that as we draw near to Him, He will draw nearer to us.  I will focus on the blessings of hope, peace and joy found in the manager.

Luke 2:8-14
And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.
And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them,
Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men

No comments:

Post a Comment