November 23, 2011

Appreciate

I find myself continuing to ponder on this season of Thanksgiving as I stand still. When I allow myself to really look at life, I am struck by the overwhelming number of all that is taken for granted day in day out.  Novelist and poet G.K. Chesterton wisely noted, “When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.”  It is my daily intent and hope to daily possess an awareness of ‘taking with gratitude.’ I want to appreciate the daily, the ordinary, the small, the meager, the moments… all that comprise the bounty of blessing and richness of life. Appreciate.
This word stands out in my thoughts…
In considering why, I looked at what it means to appreciate…
“to be grateful or thankful for; to value or regard highly” - I am grateful – I am thankful for the many blessings God has granted in my life.  There are those that I value or regard highly – a loving spouse, beautiful children, family, friends, my faith, a merciful and loving Heavenly Father.
"to be fully conscious and aware of; to recognize” -  I am conscious of the fact that I am blessed with much and try to be aware and recognize those ‘for granted’ things.
“to raise in value” – this is the meaning I think about in more depth.  As life goes on, have I really appreciated the blessings – have I allowed and  shown in a tangible way or expressed that certain blessings in my life are growing in depth, meaning and value to me.  Do I express often enough the depth of gratitude to and for those closest to me?  Have I given of myself and my time to certain friendships nurturing them to show gratitude or increase in value?  Am I continuing to grow in my relationship with the Lord? 
I want to fully appreciate.  How about you?

Psalm 118:1  Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Psalm 107:15  Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind

No comments:

Post a Comment