June 22, 2011

Keeping the plates spinning?

I recently asked a friend I hadn’t seen in a while, “How are you doing?” 
“Keeping the plates spinning,” was the reply.
I immediately pictured those performers that had a dozen or so plates on the end of poles, going from pole to pole to working to keep all the plates spinning at certain speeds so the plates don’t fall off the poles and smash into pieces on the floor. 
A man named David Spathaky, who spun 108 plates simultaneously in Bangkok on television in 1996, holds the Guinness World Record for spinning plates.  Yikes!  Think about the constant evaluation, second-to second judgments, dashing crazily - all the work to keep all the plates spinning.
Familiar feeling?  How many plates are you spinning right now?
I could relate to my friend’s comment too easily.  I knew that feeling of dashing crazily from one responsibility to another; one commitment to another; this scheduled event to that appointment. 
Family, work, events, appointments, a favor needed, a commitment asked…
Suddenly I’m hearing a crash from one direction, then oops…another.  Feeling overwhelmed or exhausted.
It’s not sustainable.
I feel a self-imposed looming disaster when what I should really just do is stand still, embrace the crashing and smashing and shout “OPA!!!”
Can you hear the loud chorus in your head…”OPAAAAH!!!”
An exclamation – a declaration of humorous and joyous affirmation saying “God is bringing you through the self imposed chaos, anxiety, mania, and crazy dashing to a state of the wisdom of a still spirit”. 
“OPA!!!” 
We need to come to a state of serene exuberance.  A plate may fall – actually plates will fall.  It’s okay.  Stop dashing around.  Stand Still.  We’ve been blessed with loved ones that will still be there if we drop a plate or break something.
We have a Father who is there to pick up the pieces. 

 Isaiah 41:10  “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Psalm 46:10   “Be still, and know that I am God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment