February 18, 2011

Encouragement

"You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life."- Zig Ziglar

I came across these words. I smiled as I thought of several of those moments in which I had been the recipient of such a blessing – the blessing of encouragement.
I’ve been standing still with the concept of encouragement. The teacher in me dissects the word itself: prefix en- meaning to bring into the condition of, put into, intensification; and courage meaning the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, determination, endurance.
Encourage is to hearten, inspire, prop up, reassure, restore, refresh, revitalize, strengthen, boost, cheer, fortify, invigorate, comfort, motivate, console, enliven, rouse, embolden, urge.
I am awed that a few sincere words can bring so much – appreciation, support, respect, motivation, inspiration, engagement, communication, cooperation, confidence, community and success. (There are so many more benefits that could be added to this list.)
Three immediate thoughts come to mind as I stand still with encouragement.
-I am deeply thankful for those who have offered a few sincere words in moments they were needed.
-I hope that I have offered such in moments others may have needed. And I pray that I develop an awareness of my words – do they more often bring some sunshine to those around me or create gloom? Am I more often lifting those around me up or inadvertently bringing them down? I become aware that I need to develop self awareness – monitor the negativity I may express; avoid speaking subtle criticisms and instead voice respect; support, and encouragement.
-I am especially thankful for Our Heavenly Father who is the Ultimate Encourager. He whispers those words so greatly needed straight to my heart. He speaks to my soul through others around me. He provides His reassurance in the proclamations found in His Word.
In the still moments of your day, may you feel the warmth of encouragement given.


Psalm 10:17 You, LORD, hear the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry,
Romans 1:11-12 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.
Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment