November 12, 2010

Of Serendipity, Coincidence, Fate and Luck

Recently someone’s need, my readiness of circumstance, and timing all came together to bring about an opportunity and change in my life.

‘Serendipity’ was the word someone used to describe the situation as I shared the news. I’ve been standing still in consideration of “serendipity”.
Good fortune; luck; happenstance; coincidence; fate; kismet – all words and concepts that fall with serendipity. I have probably used each of these words. But in standing still with ‘serendipity’ I know that I really don’t believe in a single one of them.
Providence.
This is what I do believe. There are no such things as serendipity, coincidence, chance, fortune, luck or fate. Nothing happens by accident.
It is Providence.
God in His omniscience provides direction, guidance, causation, benevolence and care according to His will and purpose. He does so for each of us out of great love. Everything happens in accordance with God’s plan.
Our Father’s greatest Providence came through His Son. Through Christ’s death and resurrection, He reconciled each of us unto Himself. This is the purpose of His heart. 1 Timothy 2:4 tells us He “wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”
Providence gives us what serendipity, coincidence, fate and luck never would be able to – a deep and lasting peace, hope and assurance.






Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose.


Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Psalm 33:11 But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment