November 5, 2010

Hearing or Listening?

It was about dinnertime the other night. Kid2 and kid3 were intensely working on attaining the next level for a video game they’d been going at for awhile. Twice I had asked them if they were at a point that they could pause and help out with last minute dinner readiness. I poked my head out from the kitchen into the other room and asked in that firm mommy tone “Did you hear me??” Kid 2 looked over his shoulder quickly and said “More precisely mom – what you might want to ask is if we’re listening.” I raised an eyebrow and cleared my throat at which point the game was paused and I immediately had two helpers in the kitchen.



As I reflect on the past week, I find myself standing still with hearing and listening.
Two words I often perceive as being interchangeable similar in meaning. For the most part, I guess they are. But there is a difference, however subtle. Hearing refers really refers to the more physical aspect of registering sound – to perceive by the ear speech or sound recognition; the faculty of perceiving sound vibrations. Listening has more to do with the attention one gives to that which is heard – to heed; to attend closely for the purpose of hearing.


Standing still I wonder of myself – am I in the habit of hearing or listening? I think that my child’s perceptive comment was a reminder for me. I need to strive for listening each day – be attentive and engaged in my daily interactions with others. I especially need to be listening, not hearing, in my relationship with the Heavenly Father. I wonder how many times He’s raised His eyebrow at the use of my hearing.


Another thought comes to mind that makes me smile – I can know with certainty that God both hears and listens… attentively and lovingly.






Proverbs 1:5 let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance—


Psalm 66:19 but God has surely listened and has heard my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment