October 15, 2010

Making a Living or Making a Life

We are all focused on making a living. Focused on finding a means to support ourselves and our families – a means to provide needs of shelter, food, and clothing. Some people strive when finding that means, and focus beyond - at attaining status and wealth as well.

Right now it seems that people have gone from finding a satisfying career to just finding a job… any job. So many people are struggling to make a living.


I saw a quote that’s got me thinking about making a living as I stand still. Tennis Grand Slam Champ and civil right activist Arthur Ashe said, “From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life.”
Several thoughts come to mind:
-Making a living is necessary but there is a difference when the focus is on making a life.
-It’s easy to become a slave to making a living; losing yourself in distractions, the “urgent” or false fulfillment.
-Making a life brings more satisfaction and contentment than making a living – there is purpose.
-The most giving people I’ve met are those who don’t have great wealth.
- In his book “The Prophet”, Kahlil Gibran writes, “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give…
These are the believers in life and the bounty of life,
and their coffer is never empty.
There are those who give with joy,
and their joy is their reward.”


As I stand still, questions come – Am I making a life? Time, talent, self, heart, faith – I see these as what I have to share. How else can I make a life? Am I modeling the difference between making a living and making a life to my children? Do I seek guidance often enough as I seek to make a life?


Once again, I need to stand still a bit longer…


Proverbs 11:24 One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment