October 25, 2010

Harmony

The gift of music touches each of our lives in some way. It has an effect on our minds, our hearts and our spirits. I think the most interesting aspect of music is harmony – the simultaneous combination of tones; a blending of sound and rhythm. Music has always been a part of my life. I spent my youth listening to my mom sing. I loved hearing her sing the hymns at church. She often sang the alto line. I think that is one of the reasons I am able to follow a line of harmony and easily harmonize when I sing. I’ve experienced the joy of singing in harmony with my own daughter many times. I just did so recently when she visited home for the weekend. It is amazing to be singing notes in harmony and experience a resonance that just gives you goosebumps.

I’ve been standing still with the concept of harmony.
After singing with my daughter, I went for an evening walk. I was struck by the fact that harmony surrounded me. I audibly heard harmony in the chirping sound of the crickets at different pitches and the syncopation of a birdcall. This brought forth to mind in general the beautiful harmonies heard in nature. How often have I heard the harmony of the different birds calling at once?
I also think visual harmony exists in nature. I noticed that during my evening walk as well. The light of the setting sun reflects in all the colors of autumn on a single tree – green, red, orange and gold. Standing still with thoughts of visual harmony I can picture the field of tulips that colorfully blossoms every spring at a nearby farm. Also coming to mind is the symphony of color that exists in a mountain field of wildflowers in full blossom on a summer day. All of these bring a harmonious blending and expression of color to the eye.
Standing still with harmony the thought comes to mind that we can possess harmony in our relationships with others. Some relationships have a natural harmony – there is balance in strengths and weaknesses; agreement of personalities; a blending of dispositions. In some relationships we experience unity and being ‘in tune’ with that person. I love ‘harmonic’ relationships that possess cooperation, like-mindedness, rapport, kinship, understanding … tranquility.
Questions begin to surface. What kind of ‘harmonies’ exist in the relationships I have? Do I need to practice ‘harmonizing’ with certain people? Do people perceive me as ‘harmonic’ or ‘dissonant’?


Still standing still…


Romans 12:16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.


1 Peter 3:8 Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment