October 20, 2010

Favorite Things

The Sound of Music is probably my all time favorite movie. I happened upon it a couple of days ago. I watched the scene in which Gretl, frightened by a storm, comes running into Maria’s room followed by the rest of the Von Trapp children. Maria shares with them that when she is feeling frightened or unhappy she thinks about her ‘Favorite Things’. I found myself humming the song this morning and decided to Stand Still with thoughts about favorite things. Thinking about favorite things does brighten the outlook somehow. There’s a warm kind of happiness that follows… good feelings… comfort. A few of my favorite things:

-the laughter of my kids
-the love in someone’s eyes
-a hug
-rolling sound of thunder
-raindrops on the roof
-smell of burning leaves
-the first crack of light at dawn
-a beautiful sunset
-rainbows
-the smell of lily of the valley or roses
-spring blossoms
-fall color
-fresh fallen snow
-baby’s feet
-laughing ‘til you cry
-random stories of an elderly person
-harmony
-the smell of baked goods or Thanksgiving dinner
-star gazing
-a lazy cup of tea with a good friend
-sitting around a campfire
I turn my thoughts heavenward – grateful to the Provider of all my favorite things. He is the top of my favorite list. The Father… Lord and Savior… the source of my strength, my hope and my joy. I think about my favorite promises He has given. Here I find not just happiness but true contentment and comfort.
Revelations 2:10 Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
Philippians 1:6 He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


There are so many more. I think I’ll be standing still a little longer …

No comments:

Post a Comment