September 15, 2010

Where am I?

Please tell me I’m not the only one.  I’ll be honest.  I’ve found myself in this position before – more than a couple of times.  This morning I came out of the grocery store only to stop dead in my tracks with the realization that I had NO idea where I was parked.  Not wanting to call any further attention to my situation I opted out of hitting the horn button on my keychain and instead began the “purposeful looking wander’ to my vehicle.  I (eventually) got to my vehicle and was able to continue homeward.
As I am taking my still moment, I giggle at what the aerial view of my path looked like.  A few thoughts come to mind.
I think there is a larger life lesson to learn here (other than I should be more attentive in my driving).  I think that every once and a while you need to consider where you are truly parked in life in order to continue on your journey ‘homeward’.  It’s an important question to ask yourself at various times – life’s “parking lot” is not a constant; there is continuous change and shifting in surroundings that influences our perspective on direction, purpose and values.  Do those changes have me disoriented like I was when I came out of the grocery store?  Does all the shifting of circumstance have me distracted from where my head and heart should be?  Where are my priorities “parked”? Clarifying where I am in the moment will allow me to consciously continue the path I need to follow to successfully reach my destination.
Going back to that aerial view – I smile as I envision God looking down at me as I go through life at times with that “purposeful looking wander”.  I’m picturing the little dashes marking crazy zig-zagging back and forth as I follow the distractions that come up in life.  Oh, and the wild looping dashed path as I chase my tail and spiral when I succumb to anxiety and uncertainty.  How much more ease, more fulfillment, and more peace would I know if instead I would follow the path in a more continuous way that God has plotted for me?  How much straighter would my path be if I could just focus on His purpose, His goal – THE destination that lies ahead? 

So I ask myself now. “Where am I ‘parked’?”  and “Am I willing to really let God lead so I can continue on my journey with a better path?”

How about you?  Do you know where you are ‘parked’?  Stand still for a moment.

Proverbs 4:11   I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths.
Psalm 23:2b   He leads me beside quiet waters…

No comments:

Post a Comment