September 10, 2010

warmth

Working on the laundry today (that one chore that is never finished). Just took a load of towels and sheets out of the dryer. They were still warm as I got them folded. I flashed back to a moment of insight I once experienced – and still like to remind myself of every now and then.

During one of those dark valley walks of life – a dear friend had been sending me cards. In one of the cards she had written that she had asked others to pray also….”My sweet friend, rest assured and know that you are being wrapped in prayer”. It was comforting to know that I had such prayerful support – but I was about to be given a tangible demonstration.
I ended up being hospitalized and went through surgery. Back in my room afterwards, I was going through a period of nausea and was really cold – wondering if I was ever going to get better. My nurse checked on me and left the room saying she’d be right back. She came back to the room bringing me another blanket that had been heated. I can’t describe how wonderful that blanket felt. The sense of warmth surrounding me…. enwrapping me. That physical sensation was followed immediately with the words of my friend coming back to me “…rest assured and know you are being wrapped in prayer.” A sense of comfort, warmth, and peace wrapped my soul.
Warmth
We experience it physically – the warmth of the sunshine on your face as you close your eyes and turn sunward allowing yourself to really feel the warmth; the warmth of your mug as you sip on a some tea or hot chocolate; the warmth of being snuggled up in your favorite comforter – cozy; the warmth of a fire on a cooler night watching embers glow.
Warmth
We experience it emotionally – the warmth of spending time with a good friend experiencing laughter and comfort; the warmth of a hug or a ‘love you’ from a loved one; the warmth of knowing people care, will support you, will pray for you.
Warmth
We experience it spiritually….
This is perhaps the greatest warmth you can experience – to your core – in your soul – your very being. True warmth that comes only by knowing you are loved completely by the Father – no matter where you are, no matter who you are, in your strengths and your weaknesses, regardless of your successes or your failures. You are loved!


We each are wrapped in God’s love. I remind myself every now and then tangibly – wrapping a warm sheet around myself or pulling on the warm sweatshirt as they come out of the dryer – did that this morning. And despite this rainy cool Oregon day I am warm to the core.
Know you are Wrapped – in prayer by me and more importantly in love by the Father.


Psalm 33:22 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

1 comment:

  1. FBed this. I,too, remember being wrapped in a warmed blanket after C. was born. Warmth, in the form of many people praying for us, enveloped me, too, when K was near death with her brain bleed. That warmth was the peace that passes understanding, the tangible love of the Father! xok

    ReplyDelete