September 2, 2010

ROOTS TO GROW WINGS TO FLY

It is said that we give our children “Roots to grow and wings to fly”. I have been pondering this saying quite a bit at this point in life.
When the kids were younger many people would observe the chaos, smile and say “enjoy this time…they grow up so fast”. I heard those people while thinking “I just want sleep”. Now at the point of having my first prepare to go off to college, my middle child taller than I and the youngest of the three is moving on to Jr. High, I can’t believe the lightning speed at which it did pass. I’ve come to several personal conclusions:


(1) parenting doesn’t get easier – challenges become different (and a little more complicated). A comfort here lies in the fact that we accomplish this task as a team, my husband and I. My greatest comfort lies in the fact that we aren’t doing it by ourselves – we have guidance from our Heavenly Father and it is through His timeless Word and our direct line through prayer that we navigate parenthood.


(2) I still want that elusive perfect night’s sleep


And….


(3) “Roots to grow wings to fly” is a parenting mantra I possess and use as I parent.


“Roots to grow”: Roots anchor, store and absorb. We’ve done our best to give each of the three kids strong roots. Roots of family values, love, good morals and ethics that will allow them to be anchored well as they experience life with all it throws their ways. The most valuable and strongest root they can, do and will have throughout their lives is faith and knowing they are each a beloved child of God.


Ephesians 3:17-19  "so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Can I begin to imagine the width, depth and length? Can I comprehend being filled to the measure of all the fullness of God? - WOW moment)


“Wings to fly”: The ultimate goal in parenting is to have children that will grow, well rooted, and will leave the nest soaring on to their own successes. But it is not easy to watch them learn to fly. Sometimes they struggle, need navigation, fly into a few walls…


As the parent I can offer pointers, give coordinates or shout “look out!” offering warning and caution. But ultimately I have to hold my breath, sometimes close my eyes, always say a prayer – and just let go and let God. In my broken human condition this is (more often than) harder than it should be.


Time for me to ponder my own roots and rely on God, my anchor. He whispers the words of Isaiah 40:31 “but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”


I sigh. In this ‘flight’ of parenting, I have my own soaring to do and when I feel weary or faint I know where to turn for renewal.


I also can rest assured that thanks to the One my children are rooted in – they will soar and be renewed as well.


It’s in His very capable loving hands. THEY are in His very capable loving hands. WHEW!




- Thank you R who reminded me to “Enjoy watching her soar -- remember, she always knows her nest is there to come home to.”

No comments:

Post a Comment