September 21, 2010

One of those days

Just one of “those” days.  Everything seems harder than it should be.  I hate it when you go to do something and it all goes awry leaving you a bigger mess than what you started with.  Here’s one of those days I had recently. 
One of the kids’ favorite shorts had a stain.  I pre-treated and worked on it for awhile and “supermom” eliminated the offending mark quite successfully.  Threw a dark load in along with the pair of shorts, started the machine and went to tackle the kitchen clean up.  Upon opening the refrigerator door to put things away, a can of freshly ground coffee grounds leaps out at me – lid exploding off the can as it hits the floor.  One more time consuming clean up to add to the list.  Get the mail and find a medical bill waiting that I know should have been covered.  Called the insurance company talked to three people and spent how many minutes on hold before finding the right answer then had to call the doctor’s office going through the answering menu, two people and more time on hold- then made one more call to the insurance company (two more people and multiple hold minutes).  Okay – that was straightened out but the morning was gone.  Still had to run errands but get to COSTCO –get there and realize I don’t have  my card – I turned it in to a short run to the grocery but will still need to go back to COSTCO.  Needed to get home to be taxi mom for kid 3 and kid 2 calls with a change in plans that sends me in yet a different direction.  Keep in mind that along the way on a day like this it is inevitable that I run into a few people with slightly less than friendly attitudes and my own…well..it was waning.  Finally get home and am ready to get that dark load in the dryer – at least one success for the day.
Uh….no.  Let me pause here and tell you that my laundry room is also used as storage on the top of the laundry shelf for things like paper towel rolls, seasonal tablecloths, tissue boxes…
Apparently, at some point before I threw my laundry into the washer, a new box of tissues had fallen into the washer.  Sending a box of kleenx through the wash cycle leaves something similar to paper mache plastered to every item of clothing that it swishes through, past, in, out, around….  NOT GOOD – took all the clothes out, cleaned out the washer, shook every item inside out and right side out, threw them in the dryer, cleaned a very full lint screen, pulled the clothes out, shook them out all again, cleaned out the inside of the dryer then put them back in the dryer and hoped the lint screen would catch what was left.
Then the family starts walking in the door one by one asking that infamous question “what’s for dinner?”. 
“Call you dad and have him pick up pizza…I’m DONE for the day.”
On one of “those” days where I feel like one more unplanned mess would send me over the edge it is kinder and more loving to give myself a “mommy time out”, declare my day is “DONE”, get into my pjs and hit my bed with a book - just end the day before it ends me and ruins the day for those around me.
I finally take that cleansing breath – wondering if it was a full moon (my mother’s theory) – and say a prayer.  A prayer for forgiveness – a blessing for some of those I dealt with today and especially a blessing and praise for my understanding and loving family- thanksgiving for the end of the day and praise and thanksgiving that the Father’s mercies are new each day(Lamentations 3:22-23).  After a day like this I need that!

No comments:

Post a Comment